Sunday, February 24, 2013

Voices of the past

My lovely Victrola VV-IX lets me listen to the voices of the past. When I was little my father had a record player but all I had to do was press a button and make sure the speakers were plugged in and I could hear all of the music of the 70s and 80s (and my mother's hair band collection). Now I have invested in something different. At George Cole auctions I purchased a great Victrola that plays wonderfully for only $150! It was made in 1916 and still sounds as good as the day it was made. It actually feels funny having to crank it up for one song but knowing that its not plugged into anything or powered by any battery makes this little machine something amazing! It crackles and plays the music from long ago that just takes you someplace other than where you are, back into the past.



The small collection of 78s that I have purchased since finding my victrola is an odd bunch of songs and golden oldies...I guess. Lots of Perry Como, Andrews Sisters, and random stuff I have never heard of. For example....
Check out this title! "Shes the sweetheart of six other guys" by The Happiness Boys. I cant imagine they would be that happy if they were all sharing the same chick.

No comments:

Post a Comment