Thursday, February 14, 2013

Photos of the dead

I have many old photos. Photos of people from long ago. None if these people are still living and I honestly don't know who they are or even where they were from. In most cases I can judge the general time period based on the clothes they wore but not much else. I collect these photos of the dead because I find them interesting. I can make up a story of each person's life based on the looks on their faces or the items they might be holding.



Once in awhile, I do get lucky and find a name. Sometimes when you open these old and delicate time capsules you might just find something buried inside. This photo shows you some of the old photos in my collection. Its a mixture of daguerreotypes, tintypes, and ambrotypes. Once in awhile I will pull them apart and see if there is something behind them and this time I found something.....
 
Behind this image of a little girl, sucking something out of a bottle, I don't know what exactly...is her name and her parents names. "Hattie Brown, daughter of Alva & Nancy Brown". I know this little girl is long gone and so is the tasty drink that seems to be keeping her quite focused. But when this photo was taken, she was young, lovely and full of life. I wonder what Hattie went on to do in her later years, if she ever got that far. Did she die during an outbreak of colera? Did she marry and have another little Hattie? Who knows? But its fun to think about.     

No comments:

Post a Comment